Level 1: Grammar Basics
Level 1: Grammar Basics introduces students to many foundational grammar skills.
- Parts of speech and sentences
- Sentence patterns
- Classic sentence diagramming
Level 2: Mechanics
This level provides guidelines for punctuation, capitalization, and usage rules for students that already have a basic foundation in grammar.
- Six comma rules
- Word agreements and word choice
Level 3: Parts of Speech
Students will practice and apply their knowledge about parts of speech and how they interact with each other. Students will learn to analyze and identify the roles that parts of speech play in a sentence.
- Parts of speech
- The five sentence patterns
- Conjunctions and compound situations
Level 4: Phrases and Clauses
In Level 4: Phrases and Clauses, students will examine and identify parts of speech, phrases, and clauses that can fulfill multiple roles depending on how they’re used in a sentence. This allows students to develop more complex sentences and express ideas more effectively.
- Adjective, adverb, and noun clauses
- Principle, gerund, infinitive, and appositive phrases
Level 5: Punctuation and Usage
Level 5: Punctuation and Usage focuses on developing a comprehensive knowledge of punctuation and word usage. Students will round out their grammar knowledge by combining the proper use of punctuation with all they have learned about grammar constructs.
- Comma rules
- Word agreements and choice
- Punctuation of quotes, dialogues, possessives, and titles